This bowl is handcrafted in the West Bank in the distinctive Tabgha style. Tabgha ceramics are painted to resemble the Byzantine mosaics of the loaves and fish that Jesus multiplied in the gospel stories.
Tabgha is the name of a Palestinian village that used to exist on the Sea of Galilee, near the site where Jesus multiplied the loaves and fish for the crowd. In 1948, just before the Israeli-Arab War, the village was destroyed and the Palestinian residents were expelled in “Operation Broom.” Today, the modern Church of Multiplication encloses excavations of a Byzantine church. The ruins include mosaics of the loaves and fish.